Gut health. It’s a popular issue at the moment and rightly so. Our gut plays a big role in our bodies, especially when it comes to weight-loss..
Now I’m going to get all science’y but it’s worth the read…
Did you know that the gut has over 100 million neurons? That’s as many as you would find in a cat’s brain!
Microbes live in our gut and make up the microbiome, microbiome do a lot for our bodies:
- Help regulate our body weight
- Decide how much energy your body extracts from food
- Control hunger signals
- Decide which foods you crave
- They even determine how much your blood sugar spikes in response to a meal!
It’s safe to say, it’s important we keep our gut happy because it has the potential to help or inhibit our weight-loss potential.
So how else can the gut impact on weight-loss?
If you eat a food that you’re intolerant to, your body will become inflamed and cause an insulin response, over time if you continue to eat inflammatory foods, your body can become insulin resistant. As insulin is a fat storage hormone, it is likely to cause weight-gain.
Over 45% of the population suffer from a food intolerance.
Symptoms can include:
- Abdominal pain and/or stomach cramps
- Eczema and many more.
So how can we keep our gut happy & healthy, combat these symptoms and increase our chances of losing weight?
- For starters lemon juice in warm water is great at aiding digestion.
- Fermented foods are high in ‘good’ bacteria and can help regenerate your gut flora. Sauerkraut, kefir, kimchi and kombucha are great options to include in your diet.
- Eat as many whole, natural foods as possible.
- Drink more water. Often if you have a digestive disorder it is possible that you’re severely dehydrated too. Add a tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to water to further aid digestion.
- Consider a probiotic supplement, they are full of ‘good’ bacteria and improve gut health.
- Don’t try a ‘cleanse’ or ‘detox’ that involves eating only liquids or very low calories. Your liver detoxes your body, there’s no need to try extreme diets.
Most importantly, try figuring out what foods are causing your symptoms. This may be tough though, symptoms can take up to 75 hours to appear. For a definitive answer, you might consider taking a blood test that tests your blood sample against specific foods that may be causing you issues. Zest24 are Lorisian Intolerance Testing practitioners and we offer at-home blood test kits to help you find the cause of your symptoms and start seeing weight-loss results.
Looking after your body must be a priority, we only get 1 so it’s important we look after it!
Blood Test Kits Available! Test between 100-200+ foods to help determine which foods you’re intolerant to.